Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Math Teacher is Dead by Robert Manners Book Review


The Math Teacher is Dead by Robert Manners tells the story of Danny Vandervere, a rich kid who’s family built the town. Unlike most stories that I like for character development, I like this one for the complete opposite. Danny doesn’t develop in any profound way. He doesn’t feel remorse for cheating on his boyfriend, or embarrassed for sleeping with over a hundred people, and the only reason why he is interested in the murder was because it was his math teacher. This story reminds me of Catcher in the Rye in the respect that I don’t feel for the character. He isn’t that interesting, yet for some reason you can’t put it down. And believe me when I say that it isn’t the mystery that keeps you interested. I figured out who did before the body was discovered. Worse part yet? I didn’t even change my mind.

I think the reason why I like this story might be due to the controversial nature of it. For example, on the first page, Danny, a sixteen year old, is getting blown by his much older male math teacher while thinking about the sex he had with his female science teacher in the back of her car during lunch on the next. If this was a print bound book, I have fifty dollars saying it would be reported on every news channel and parents would be demanding the burning of the book. I have told my friends that if I ever read a book that brook taboos and didn’t apologize about and wasn’t fantasy/sci-fy based, I would give it a five star review. I am a man of my word so.... My first five star review.

No comments:

Post a Comment