Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Fall by David L. Dawson Book Review


The Fall by David L. Dawson tells the story of a coming of age boy and his return from the outside due to his rite of passage. This is another story I read a month ago, but it stuck with me. Two gods war with each other and their conflict is what caused the end of civilization as we know it. A group called the god slayers seek to reclaim a weapon capable of killing the gods. This story is told third person with Ben being the main character. A fourteen year old boy destined to be the mayor when his father passes away. Like most boys of that age, he is starting to develop… well… ok he has a crush on his best friend’s older brother. There is no other way to put it. And worse yet, it was that blunt in the story too.

I realized halfway through the story, that it was meant for young adults and I was disappointed. This is the type of story that was made for an older market. On Amazon, it says suitable for twelve and older. I have issues with that. A story that is meant for a twelve year old won’t hold the interest of an eighteen year old. There are exceptions, but if it is a series and it gets progressively darker as it goes.

Let’s get this out of the way, I don’t like young adult. Sure, my first novel is young adult oriented, but it is meant for the older market: fifteen and such. Any book meant for someone under fifteen, I can’t stand. I couldn’t even stand them when I was those ages. The Fall by David L. Dawson is a young adult novel meant for young adults starting at the age of twelve and going upward. Ok, what! Twelve and up is a huge chasm of time. The way I look at it, from the age of twelve to the age of eighteen, many things change. You start cussing more, sex happens and you are more than likely going to see someone in your family die and have to fully process that event. To write a book and market it towards half a decade or more is a difficult feat, to market a book for preteens and expect teenagers to read it is next to impossible. The only way it could be done -IMO- is with angst and dark themes. The Fall has dark themes, but it is tempered so the preteens can enjoy.

I’m sorry, but your main character is gay, you have two gods fighting it out, destroying land masses and civilization. And you mention his first time ejaculating. You have all the workings of a fantastic fifteen and up young adult novel.

My ranting aside, and the three star rating, the overall plot of the story was worth the read and I do look forward to the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment