Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Something Like Autumn by Jay Bell Book Review


Note: This review contains a spolier if you have yet to read Something Like Summer or Something Like Winter.
 
 
Some books are better than the sum of its prequels. Ok, that didn’t sound as deep as I thought it would, but that’s beside the point. Something Like Autumn by Jay Bell tells the story of Jace. And it is, hands down. my favorite one in the trilogy of Ben, Tim and Jace.

If you have read Something Like Summer or Winter, you know what happens to Jace and that might put you off. It did me. But mostly because I wanted Something Like Spring to be finished before I read it. I have no issues with main characters death.

Hell, I give out five stars for that.

But SLA deserves five stars for many reasons. Reason number one, Jace. Jace was my favorite character from the other books mostly because I see some of myself in him. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ben’s pride and Tim’s arrogance as they add to the characters depth but Jace is the most like me and I love him for it.

The relationship between Jace and his family is reason number two. While Jace’s parents loved him and his sister, they didn’t smoother them like I felt Bens did. They were willing to let their children go out and explore.

Jace’s relationship with his sister was a drastic improvement. I know not all brother-sister relationships are as function as Michelle and Jace’s but I can’t see it happening that you still invite your sister to meet your boyfriend when all she does is spew venom.

Also Jace’s friendships. In Summer/Winter, Tim is a jock and he doesn’t really have friends as much as he is part of a group, and while Ben does have a friend, their relationship seems slightly… brother/sister to me.-As in I love you because your my brother and I will support you.- Jace seems to be the only one at risk for losing his friend.

Reason number three. The way it’s told. Jay is a pro when it comes to retelling the same event over again. He seems to add more details or make it seem less important depending on the POV.

I will conceded that the first few chapters seemed to take a little longer to finish then SLS or SLW but then again, I was getting burned out on fiction without a supernatural or mystery edge to it. There was also my issue with Victor. Like Jace, in SLS I, feel his departure was just so the other characters could get together. I don’t like that feeling. On the other hand, the following scene is one of my favorites in the book.

If I could reread this series with open eyes I’d be torn between reading SLW and SLA first. If I were to start with SLW it would be because I would want to see if I found Tim as big of an ass. But to start with SLA would mean I got to view Jace’s death as a surprise. Either way, SLS would be at the end for the fact of the matter is, Ben is the one who ties the stories together. IMO his is the least important. But then again, these stories can function as standalones.

Overall Something Like Autumn gets a five star rating and ranks as one of my favorite reads of the year.

 

P.S. Im stunned I gave out five stars and it wasn’t even for the death.

No comments:

Post a Comment