Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Piece of Chiidhood: TV

Before I begin I must say that I debated with myself on whether if I should write this or not. But my mind wouldn't be silent and I wrote this while walking from work.
It’s February and while Valentine’s Day is the main attraction, let’s not forget that this is also Black History Month.
So in respect of this occasion, I’m going to talk about my childhood, more accurately, the cartoon shows I used to watch.
Like any other child, I watched a gambit of cartoons. Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Power Rangers, ok not really a cartoon, but assuredly kid friendly. What did all those shows have in common? Bright colors, a story-mostly- and no black main character.
As I was a child, I didn’t care that all the stars of the show were white, mostly. I enjoyed them for the action and the sounds. But a part of me did wish that the guy under the spider-man suit was black.
So when Static Shock came to the TV screen, I was ecstatic.

I don’t remember much about the episode, just the events around it; a giant bowl of cereal and fighting with my brother to see who would sit in Dad’s chair. If that lasted as long as it normally did, the first ten minutes of the show wasn’t observed.  But I recall the impression of wanting to see next week’s episode ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment